Home Print this page Email this page Users Online: 688
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2004  |  Volume : 12  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 58-62

Herbal alternative in topical burn therapy


Department of Burns & Plastic Surgery, BJ Medical College & Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad, India

Correspondence Address:
T Ayyappan
Associate Professor, Department of Burns & Plastic Surgery, BJ Medical College & Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

Twenty patients irrespective of gender who sustained burns of varying etiology and TBSA (Total body surface area) not exceeding 40% were selected for a nonrandomized prospective clinical trial to test the efficacy of a topical herbal ointment (1% pure extract of Argyreia Speciosa) as an alternative to current topical antibiotic therapy. The efficacy of the ointment was gauged by clinical parameters and was compared with Silver Sulphadiazine cream in cases of symmetrical wounds. The ointment did not have any inherent antimicrobial action as indicated by bacteriological studies in serial concentrations but wound healing proceeded without any deterioration of wounds. Complete healing occurred in 8 out of 20 patients (40%) while wound contraction was evident in the rest i.e.12 patients (60%) who all underwent split thickness grafting. The average duration of appearance of a raw area was higher with Argyreia Speciosa group as compared to Silver Sulphadiazine (28.5 days vs.24 days and was not statistically significant (t = 1.969, p>0.05). The mechanism of action of this agent has not been fully elucidated and further studies are required to validate the role of this topical herbal agent.


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed412    
    Printed14    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded44    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal